Friday, January 23, 2009

Educatedly Speaking

Teacher: "How did you get the class to quiet down and listen to you?"
Student: " I dunno, I guess I was educatedly speaking, so I convinced 'em it was the smart thing to do."
Teacher: "Educatedly? You realize that isn't a word, right?"
Student: "Maybe to you, but I am the one who got them to quiet down, right?"
Teacher: "Fair enough."

I am starting this blog to document, keep track of, organize, and share my thoughts as a young educator in the wonderful city of Philadelphia.
I am currently earning a master's degree in Secondary Education from Temple University. I will eventually earn my certification as an English teacher and I am also working toward a certificate in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL).
When I am not in classes or reading for classes (this term I am taking "Curriculum for TESOL", "Reading, Writing, and Inquiry. English Education, K-12", and "Computer Based Instruction"), I can be found helping 3rd - 7th graders at an after school program in North Philadelphia. There, I work to create enriching activities through the use of creative writing and poetry. I also assist in an ESL classroom with one 4th and two 5th grade students for about two hours a week. Most weekdays, I tutor college students at Temple University's Writing Center on various aspects of the writing process. On weekends, through the Urban Youth Association at the Marian Anderson Recreation Center, I volunteer with middle school students, tutoring in reading and writing. I also host a poetry club for the students who come to the center.
For this blog, I plan on typing up any and all responses I have to class readings and discussions, as well as any interesting personal experiences I have in working with inner city youth and ESL learners.
Please feel free to comment!

- Ms. Kristy

2 comments:

  1. I can see that this is a powerful vehicle for you. The opening dialogue is witty, and it reminds me of the importance distinction between "book learning" and real-world skills.

    I am very happy to see that you are already using this blog to reflect on what you're learning in your various courses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I really think that we as educators often "write off" the education we can receive from our students. The title, and dialogue, is kind of a reminder for me to resist doing so.
    I am happy I started this blog, it feels good to share some of my experiences and opinions outside of the classroom for anyone to join into the conversation.

    ReplyDelete

Followers