Friday, January 23, 2009

TESOL

So, I admit, I feel a tad bit overwhelmed and completely unqualified in the area of TESOL. I do, however, find most topics of literacy fascinating, and literacy of second language learners is no exception.
My first TESOL class is centered around creating curriculum for ESL students, and It would be a lie if I said the class looks like it will be a breeze. Among a plethora of presentations, projects, and lesson plans, we are also assigned with the task of finding ESL students (of any age) to work with at least two hours a week for 10 weeks. Luckily, the school that I work for has an amazing woman running the ESL program and she is very excited to have me in her classroom (that is, until she inevitably realizes that I know absolutely nothing about teaching ESOL). She has assigned me three students that I am to meet next week (barring any roadblocks that may occur due to PSSA testing). The two boys I am to teach are both in 5th grade and reading at the highest 2nd grade level, the third student is a girl in fourth grade who reads at a lower 2nd grade level. She explained that the one boy has issues with words that have a suffix and a prefix and that she has run into a roadblock with him and his reading skills. All of the children are Carribean, and I am hoping to find out more about them on Tuesday when I meet them for the first time (I have spent a considerable amount of time in Jamaica, so, if they are West Indian, I may be able to break the ice with relating to them and their culture). I am going to try and find some fun activities dealing with prefixes and suffixes online. Hopefully I will be able to help them, despite my limited knowledge.
We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers