Friday, January 23, 2009

Week One; Reading and Response for "Computer Based Instruction"

Article can be found here: http://www.guide2digitallearning.com/blog_mark_payton/who_are_you_calling_digital_immigrant

Digital Learners

While I have never heard of a digital immigrant or a digital native,
the author of "Who Are You Calling a Digital Immigrant?", Mark Payton, brings up some good points pertaining to how technology should be taught and used in the classroom.
In this article, he brings up concerns with computer classes as boring component based experiences as opposed to integrating technology in a way that could be useful.
Payton says of "digital natives" that "They are not some sort of genetic or even environmental digital natives, rather they are motivated students of the technology." While I do not agree with this statement entirely, because I believe that the ease of technology acquisition is heightened when it is available at a younger age (as is most knowledge or skill sets) I do think that there are strong social motivators for having to know certain technologies ( i.e. an ipod etc.).
I agree with Payton that students have much to learn in applying technology in ways that can benefit their education and careers. I also agree that it is the job of educators to not only familiarize themselves with new technology, but to also find a way to incorporate it into curriculum in the most seamless way possible.
As Payton says,"The more we can subsume the technology into what really interests our students, young or old, the more technology we can help them to learn and use effectively.", here, he emphasizes that using technology in the classroom is not good enough, we, as educators, must also teach our students how they can use technology to better their lives.
As someone planning on teaching in an urban setting, it can often seem unrealistic to think that a lot of the newest technologies will be available to me. I do, however, feel that I have to to prepare myself with the knowledge of these technologies. If only for the hope that the digital divide between inner city (as well as rural) and suburban (etc.) classrooms will someday be bridged.

2 comments:

  1. It's true that many classrooms in the School District of Philadelphia lack technology tools. However, there are many classrooms with recent upgrades, including laptop carts, interactive whiteboards, projectors, and audio systems. It's definitely good to be prepared to be able to use these tools effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree, and I am grateful that the Temple program allows us the opportunity to learn some of these useful technologies. I am certain I will make use of them.

    ReplyDelete

Followers